my birthday present

my birthday present
My awesome birthday present 1/26/11 (see story under my first post)

Monday, December 26, 2016

Christmas Lights

It has been over 2 years since I last posted a poem. I have missed connecting with poetry. My spirit has grown thin. I need to make time to get back into watching for poems to share. This one is quite appropriate for my reentry into my blog. Hope you enjoy it.

Christmas Light 
by May Sarton

When everyone had gone
I sat in the library
With the small silent tree,
She and I alone.

How softly she shone!
And for the first time then
For the first time this year,
I felt reborn again,
I knew love’s presence near.

Love distant, love detached
And strangely without weight,
Was with me in the night
When everyone had gone
And the garland of pure light
Stayed on, stayed on.


"Christmas Light" by May Sarton from Collected Poems. © Norton, 1993. 

No comments: