my birthday present

my birthday present
My awesome birthday present 1/26/11 (see story under my first post)

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Kabir Loses His Cup in Rumi’s Field

I am excited that another poet has submitted a poem for me to post on this blog. She enclosed this message with her poem. 

Hello, Pam. My friend Mary Bragg suggested I send the attached poem to you. I also read with a group of poets in Prescott, Arizona, and participate in a monthly Poets' Co-op meeting during which we share our work and seek feedback. I have been writing poetry since the 1970s, but only began sharing in public readings about three years ago. This poem was sparked by a sentence in Stephen Levine's memoir, Turning Toward the Mystery: A Seeker's Journey, one of those poetry flash fires that sometimes brings me a gift of information I didn't know I had.
 
I have been enjoying your poetry blog, and have signed up to receive your newsletter.
 
With thanks,
Sharon Seymour

I have read poems by Kabir and Rumi and enjoy them very much. I think you will enjoy this video ( youtube of Robert Bly  ) in which Robert Bly reads poems by Kabir. In it he claims that Kabir was Rumi's ancestor, but I don't think that is correct. According to Wikipedia Rumi lived about 200 years before Kabir.
I love the visual this poem creates. I can feel the excitement and energy of Kabir. I think you will like it as well as I do.  Thanks Sharon, I am very impressed.




Kabir Loses His Cup in Rumi’s Field

Such a beautiful cup, diamond vessel,
facets flashing, sun catcher.
Kabir runs, cap askew, robes flapping.
How can this treasure be lost?

Such a broad field,
vast rolling waves of grass;
where Kabir’s eye falls
red roses blossom.
Who is this approaching,
laughing, spinning sunwise,
hands open offering
everything.

Kabir’s eyes fill
and there! Just there!
Flash of diamond,
Run! There!
Cap lost,
flowers crushed,
falling exhausted,
knees sink onto shore,
grass-rimmed rill of clear water.

Kabir looks up, meets eyes,
compassion unbounded.
Hands dip into water,
lift, dripping diamonds.
Oh! This bottomless Cup!

 
Songwoman
February 21, 2013

1 comment:

marie-jo said...

Even before I watched the Robert Fly video (lovely and entertaining), the mysticism in Sharon Seymour's poem was evident. Kabir's cup is reminiscent, of course, of the chalice, and its existential symbol is also similar ---life, infinity. But what struck me most is that she created a beautiful tableau ---joined the sensorial with the spiritual. All that, with a dazzling economy of words.