my birthday present

my birthday present
My awesome birthday present 1/26/11 (see story under my first post)

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Witness

Mary Carvell Bragg lives in Arizona and belongs to a circle of friends and fellow writers who get together and share their poetry and prose. I love her poems and have posted her poems in the past. I especially enjoy hearing her reading her own poems. (She recorded a cd called Vantage Point) Last week I offered to post poems for the readers of this blog and she offered this gem. This poem evokes strong visuals for me. I especially like the last line. It reminds me there is so much that happens in this world that goes unnoticed that may be more important than the events we are aware of. Thanks for sharing, Mary.



WITNESS

I was there when two drops of water
coalesced to jump-start an ocean
as Grandmother Spider’s tentative web
evolved into a masterpiece
when Venus and Mars
lined up beside the moon

I was there in the garden
with a serpent, a man, a woman
surrounded by trees laden with fruit
when everyone knew the language of animals
when a cave man uttered two Ughs
and his mate understood

I was with a virgin atop an Aztec teocalli
hands and feet bound, head back
neck offered to the blade
with Mary when the Archangel appeared
with Buddha under the bodhi tree

I was with homeless strangers
pooling body warmth to survive the night
with the Jews at Auschwitz and Bergen-Belson
when a second atomic bomb ravaged Nagasaki
when the last carrier pigeon fell unnoticed to the ground

—Mary Carvell Bragg

1 comment:

marie-jo said...

This is one of Mary's most powerful pieces. At least as far as I know. It is also beautifully constructed. From "two drops of water" to Nagasaki. And then back to the forgotten pigeon. In few lines, she covers a lot of ground and establishes interesting links. She explores the definition of life and death from the mundane and nearly invisible to the explosively tragic. She equalizes these lives and deaths, their significance. Etc., etc, etc.